Saturday, June 5, 2010

Expat Anonymous

I have the best Teacher's Assistant. Her name is Muyenga, and not only is she wonderful with the students, she made the transition for them, and myself smooth. Her daughter has fallen ill, and she's been out since Easter. I always knew I depended on her, but never realised how much until she was no longer there. Her absence also helped me realise I could never go home and teach. I'd be doing everything on my own. YIKES! I've been spoilt.

A couple of weeks ago my mate, Louise, and I were out for coffee. I confessed my dependency to her. We laughed and joked how we needed a support group. An Expat Anonymous. Louise felt that many of our stories cannot be shared with those who don't live here. You see us as spoilt. We have housekeepers, nannies, drivers, etc. And while we also laugh at our dependency, we need help.

So here's the first installment of Expat Anonymous.

Hello, my name is Tima, and I'm an Expat. It's been 8 years since I've had to make my own bed. Going home every Christmas, causes confusion when after breakfast, my bed has not been miraculously done. During Ethan's first Christmas home, we were all watching TV when the power suddenly went out. It was day time, so it wasn't dark out. We all got up and started doing something else. All of a sudden, my father-in-law notices that Ethan is standing in front of the TV. Just standing there. "What is he doing?" Scott and I look at each other and start laughing. Our darling 1.5 year old was waiting for the generator to kick in.

2 comments:

Faiza said...

rolling my eyes and laughing at the same time!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found you from Blogfrog.Thank you for sharing nice blog.

please visit & join my community if you have chance for exchange our Quality time!

http://theblogfrog.com/1233755
http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

Have a great day.
Nan