Monday, June 28, 2010

Expat Anonymous

Hello. My name is Tima and I'm an Expat.

It's an interesting life here. In some ways, it's tough, the power goes off, you go a few days with no water, the roads can be horrid, you miss the comforts of home. And yet, we're spoilt here. I sometimes wonder if I could ever survive back home.

Our housekeeper quit last month. Got a job with an Embassy family, who pays more. Despite her contract stating she had to give us a month's notice, she didn't. And I was confused. It seemed weird not having a housekeeper. Bear in mind, we also have a nanny. Yes, I have a almost-4-year-old and a nanny. (Spoilt) Since Ethan's in school, the nanny was able to do some of the housework.

Then Ethan fell ill. He's been cranky and crabby, and well... a sick little boy. Yesterday, I had to get Christina to assist in giving him his medicine. Christina is the best. I do not know what I would do without her.

And here's where I feel bad. I have a mommy mate in the US. Her son is the same age as Ethan, and she has 2 year old twins. Since the beginning of the year, she has had at least one child sick. And she works full time. And she is the nanny of her own children. And she's the housekeeper. She commented recently that the night wasn't as bad as it could have been, since only 2 kids were sick and sleeping in her bed and not 3 kids. Oh, and only 1 child fell out of bed, not 2. And she went to work the next day. I'm on vacation. And even if I did have to work, I know Christina will come in the morning to help, and after work, I could rest if needed.

Dear mommy-friend, and all my other mommy mates, I have an incredible sense of respect for you. You are my idols.

My name is Tima. And I'm spoilt an Expat.

1 comment:

SarahMarie said...

Tima! I heart you.

I know you think you are spoiled, but the fact that you don't take the help for granted means that you are not really spoiled. (Just lucky!) :)

Thanks for thinking of me. I don't know what I'd do without my Seeds.