Friday, January 28, 2011

Read to Feed

IST is participating in the Heifer's Read to Feed Program. For anyone who does not know, Heifer International is a non-profit organisation that has been working in Tanzania for over 30 years. It selects qualified needy families to raise their standard of living by providing them with livestock such as goats, chickens, or a cow. It gives them the training on how to best benefit from the gift. When they receive an animal they must make a promise to return one or more of the offspring, which will then be passed on to another family in their community.

Ethan and I have been talking about Reed to Feed. How some families, don't have what we do, that the children cannot even go to school. Ethan then went to tell me about the book he read at school. The girl couldn't go to school, but then they got a chicken, and eggs and more chickens and she got to go to school. I'm wondering if his teacher read him One Hen by Katie Smith Milway. Ethan is now super excited.

Starting Monday, Ethan and I will write down all the books we read. He's getting sponsors for each book he reads for the next 3 weeks. All the money he raises, will go to the Heifer Project. We got a few moms of Ethan's mates to sponsor him. If anyone else would like to sponsor him on his first endeavour to give back, we would be grateful.



“If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.”
~Mother Teresa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think my Friend's Meeting participates in the Heifer Project. I'm going to ask around and see how I can help. Thanks for writing about it here. I'm a new follower and found you from LBS tea party.