Monday, February 7, 2011

If I Stay - Gayle Forman

So I've challenged myself to read 100 books this year. I'm keeping track of them here. I also thought I'd do a little write up on each. I've been stalling on this one.

I read If I Stay last month. It's a lovely story. However, every review I've read, people have rated it 5 stars and claimed they cried the whole way through. I didn't.

So now I'm confused. Did I miss something in my reading, or am I heartless?

The story is about 17 year old Mia, who's in a car accident, along with her parents and kid brother (7 year old with a vocabulary of a 10 year old). She "wakes up" from the accident, to see her parents have died and her body. The premise of the book is her deciding whether to stay or go.

The story flashes back to her memories of her family and friends, to the present where she can see all those that come and visit her.

This is what gets me. Mia tells most of her story without a lot of emotion. When the sad bits come, it's hard to really get upset, as I never felt she was really involved. She spends most of the time wondering if her boyfriend can come visit, or remember their courtship, and not as much time thinking/talking about her family. It's almost halfway through the book when she discusses her brother, and by then, it comes out as "oh, by the way, my brother..."

Sorry for anyone that loved the book. I did enjoy it, but didn't feel the connection. Hopefully that doesn't make me heartless.


2 comments:

Zoƫ said...

I totally agree, I think I rated this 3 stars. it was not bad, but certainly didn't have me bawling. that said there is a sequel coming out in april, where she went, told from adam's perspective a few years later, and I am intrigued to see what happens next as this really seemed like a stand alone novel to me.

Unknown said...

@Zoe - Thank you for making me feel better. I'm also curious to see the second book. Especially since they've apparently broken up and this book seemed so focus on him.