Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Lonely Weekend

Scott's away this week, and I was taking a workshop at school, which meant I needed some help with Ethan. Usually, this is where living 15 minutes away from my parents comes in handy. Unfortunately, this weekend, they were not around. 

I almost thought I'd have to drop out of the workshop, until my aunt offered to babysit Ethan on Saturday. We then got Joel and Thomas to come over on Sunday and hang out with Ethan.

For Ethan, this was the best weekend so far.

For me, it was the loneliest.

Ethan woke up Saturday, and was thrilled to be spending the day with his cousins. He even asked if he could have a sleepover. He sounded so excited, I didn't have the heart to say no. Plus, I really wanted to finish reading my book, The Gargoyle, so I thought I should take advantage of a weekend alone. Really, how often does a mom get a night off? No husband, no child. Just me and my Kindle. And a bag of popcorn.

And yet, an hour after coming home, I was lonely. Not alone, but lonely. I'm use to Ethan spending the night with my parents, but usually Scott's around. I'm even use to Scott travelling, I have Ethan. But this time, I had no one. I really missed Ethan. And Scott. Mostly, my baby boy. 

"Mommy, I'm not a baby! I'm a big boy!" 

Ok, sorry. I missed my big boy.

I can't stop Scott from travelling, it is his job, but I don't think I'm letting Ethan go for another sleepover. Hmmm..... maybe I can convince him to have a sleepover party with me!

1 comment:

PythonKatie said...

Girl - I'm famous for complaining to my boyfriend I need a break from my son. Too much stuck at home - these 4 walls and just the 2 of us. Then, when I actually get a day away from him - within an hour I'm looking at the clock asking if it's time for him to come home yet!

:-) We do regular sleepovers in his room. Pull out the air mattress - pop popcorn - watch cartoons and snuggle together. Wouldn't miss it for the world!