Friday, March 25, 2011

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

I loved Hunger Games so much, I just had to jump right into the next instalment. And Catching Fire didn't disappoint.

The 2nd instalment, continues Katniss' story. She and Peeta have returned to District 12 after winning the Hunger Games. They move into Victor's Village, but things are not so rosy.

Catching Fire starts by letting us know what life is like back in District 12. Katniss' relationship with her mother, Peeta and Gale have changed. The President doesn't buy her act that she's hopelessly in love with Peeta. He wants to be convinced. And, there are rebellions happening in different districts.

This year is the 75th anniversary of the Hunger Games, and are therefor the Quarter Quell. This year, the names in the pool for the games are past victors, which means Katniss and Peeta must once again return to the arena.

Catching Fire starts slow, but I kind of liked that. It was nice to know a little more about Katniss and her friends and family. However, the Hunger Games begin 2/3 of the way into the book, and almost feels rushed.

What I didn't like about the book, was how months can go by within 2 pages. And Katniss didn't seem as strong this time around. Then again, being threatened by the President, and being thrown back into the games would bring a person down.

What I am grateful for though, is I'm reading the series now, which means I can start book 3 now and not have to wait a year for it to be published (as some of my mates had to go through).




No comments: