Monday, July 25, 2011

The Girl Who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson

Last year, I began reading The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. I had trouble getting through it, so put it away. I eventually went back and loved it.

Earlier this year, I started The Girl Who Played with Fire. Once again, I couldn't get into it, so I put it away. Upon returning from Canada, I realised I had nothing to read, so I picked it up again. This time I found myself intrigued with the mystery.

Just like The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire has a whole bunch of mini stories that come together. What makes it difficult, for me, are all the names. Blomkvist, Bjurman... While I know who they all are, when new characters are introduced, it takes me many chapters before I've sorted out who they are, how they fit into the main story and what their personal story is.

But then again, isn't that the point?

Blomkvist is working with two young people. One a journalist and the other a grad student. Millennium is about to publish an article and book exposing the sex slave trade. The two end up dead. The gun is found with Lisabeth's fingerprints. But we all know she didn't do it. All these characters are introduced with their own story and are somehow linked to Lisabeth. It's up to you to keep reading and solve the mystery.

I shall now begin The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, knowing that I may have to put it away for a couple of month before returning to it.


No comments: