Friday, November 11, 2011

Making Thinking Visible - Ron Ritcchart

Did you know the verb think is the 12th most used verb in the English Language?
Shocking! I know!
What's even more stunning, as a teacher, I probably use that word a gazillion times.

Making Thinking Visible is a research-based approach to teaching thinking which began at Harvard's Project Zero. The book is filled with strategies to get your children thinking more. 

Don't be rolling your eyes!

While reading the book, I made a conscience effort to use the word think less and use other words; connection, comparison, prediction, estimate. It's amazing the different responses you get by changing one word.

I've even begun some of the strategies in my classroom. You can take a look at the See, Think Wonder strategy here.

If you're a teacher and want to open your students' minds, you'll love this book.



1 comment:

Susan Anderson said...

I'll tell my sister about it. She teaches English to 8th graders.


=)