Wednesday, September 26, 2012

ABC - Good Friend

I've been feeling low and down lately
so today's prompt
really touched me.
What makes a good friend?

For me,
a good mate possess the qualities 
I would expect from myself.
Loyalty, love, humour and sensitivity.
And bringing a bottle of wine 
to every event is a plus.

With Scott away,
I'm feeling lonelier than ever.
I have good mates,
but have found myself 
questioning some over others.

All my mates here are incredible.
They have been super supportive
with Scott away.
They want to make sure I'm ok.
It makes me feel loved.
And shows me they are in fact
not just good mates,
but great ones too.

I also have a couple of mama mates.
There's a group of mamas
I "met" when I was pregnant.
While I don't often think I have a lot in common with them
I feel loved and special.
And that makes a good friend.

Lately,
I've come to realise,
I really have nothing in common
with many of them.
I'm not sure if it's loneliness,
age,
or self pity,
but I'm not sure if many of them think
of me as a mate.
I do,
however have a couple of them
that are incredibly supportive.
And despite never having met them
I think of them 
as some of my best mates.

So,
did I answer the question?
A good friend
is someone who's there for you,
who doesn't make you feel unwanted,
who listens to you
even though they may not be able to relate.
And I'm glad to have some of those
in my life.





8 comments:

Amanda said...

Love you!!!

Unknown said...

Great blog :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. hugs from a new follower and I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

Lisas2900.blogspot.com

Lisa

Fiona said...

Thanks, I have wondered the same with my mates lately, I have mates near and far, yet when it really matters why does that oone person gett me,when they live far away, but often is the one to know what Ineed to hear. I Haven't seen you since Ethan was born, and I am sad I didn't go further in sign language. I consider you a mate,

Fiona said...

Thanks, I have wondered the same with my mates lately, I have mates near and far, yet when it really matters why does that oone person gett me,when they live far away, but often is the one to know what Ineed to hear. I Haven't seen you since Ethan was born, and I am sad I didn't go further in sign language. I consider you a mate,

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Ohhh this is lovely. The words you chose, the way they flow on the page, the way they are formatted.

Your mates are blessed to have you in their lives!

Love, love, love to you....

Darlene said...

Good friends are so important in life, and like you, I have a lot of really great ones!! I actually feel sorry for "loners" and there are quite a few of them, unfortunately.

I am always interested when you speak of your friends as "mates." I always equate "mate" as ones spouse. I know that friends are called "mates" in England, so I guess they are called that in a lot of places in Canada too.

I am also interested in your blogging friend, Fiona's comment about sign language. Did you learn it, teach it or use it?

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

You wrote such an honest and heart-felt post. I think the qualities you noted in a friend are excellent ones.

What I Want My Kids To Know said...

Sometimes I think we all wonder if friends we value feel the same way about us as we do!!