Sunday, July 27, 2014

Cruel Beauty - Rosamund Hodge

I am a huge fan of Cinderella stories.
Actually, 
if am honest,
I'm a huge fan of fairy tales.
So when I heard that Cruel Beauty
was a new twist on
The Beauty & the Beast
I knew I had to give it a read.

I didn't so much read this book
as I did gobble it up!

Nyx is an amazing character.
She is strong-willed,
witty, brave
and,
dare I say,
sarcastic!
She is angry, bitter and fierce.
And she craves to be loved. 
She has spent her whole life 
being prepared to sacrifice her life
and kill a beast. 
Before her birth,
her father made a deal with the Gentle Lord,
the evil ruler/monster
of their kingdom. 
In exchange for allowing his wife
to conceive the twins, 
their father promised one twin
to the Lord in exchange.
But the Lord plays tricks.
He granted the father's wish,
and Nyx and her sister were born.
But he also lost his wife
to childbirth.

Then there is the Gentle Lord,
Ignifex.
For centuries her has terrorized
the kingdom. 
But things are never as they seem.

Cruel Beauty mixes the best of two of my favourite genres;
fairy tales and Greek mythology.
It is cleverly written and hooks you in 
from the start. 
If this is how she debuts,
I cannot wait to read more from this amazing
author. 











No comments: