Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Book Whisperer - Donalyn Miller

My first year in Zambia,
my teaching partner and I
scoured the server
to find a ton of reading logs.
We went through them all
(they were used by the previous year's teachers)
and found the one we would implement
in our classroom.
By October,
I hated the reading logs.
It felt like I was giving parents homework.
If a student wasn't reading,
I'm sure the parent would tell me.
So what did purpose did the log serve?

Unfortunately,
I was alone.
The following year,
my teaching partner was an avid
book log teacher.
And since we were a small school,
it was hard for her to do something
and not me.

So,
when I read in The Book Whisperer
how the author also has a distaste
for reading logs,
I knew we were kindred spirits!

The book is more or less
her thought process
on how to create a generation of readers.
She has instilled a love of reading in her students.
They don't read books because the curriculum says they should.
They read books they want to,
they share ideas,
thoughts
and recommendations.
It's what I would love my students
to feel about reading.

Miller teaches middle school.
Her methods work great in that setting.
As a second grade teacher,
I'm not sure how much of this I could use
but it was truly inspiring.

No comments: