Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Lost Hero - Rick Riordan

I'll be honest.
I loved the Percy Jackson series.
I never had any intention of starting
this series.
But then,
over Christmas,
I found the graphic novel version 
and bought it for Ethan.
Who devoured it.
And then proceeded to ask me some questions.
Which I could not answer.
So I picked this up
to answer his questions.
So,
basically,
you could say I read this for my son!

The Percy Jackson series
ends with a prophecy:
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

The Lost Hero
picks up from there.

Here we meet 3 new heroes:
Jason: who suddenly wakes up
on a field trip
sitting next to a girl who claims to be his 
girlfriend.
Piper: who has the ability to make people
give her things.
But cannot figure out why her boyfriend
has no clue who he is.
Or her.
Leo: the third wheel.
The best friend
who has the ability to make fire
out of nothing.

The three of them are carried off to
Camp Half-Blood
where they learn that Hera has been kidnapped
and they are sent on a mission to rescue her.

While the Percy Jackson series
focused on Greek mythology,
it would appear 
The Heroes of Olympus
will introduce us to Roman mythology.
Jason doesn't see himself as the 
son of Zeus,
but the son of Jupiter.
And while he sees to be the "star" of the book
Leo was the true hero
in my view.

No comments: