Thursday, December 10, 2015

Writer's Workshop - Quote

1. Share a quote you love.


This week, I chose MamaKat's first prompt, sharing a quote I love. I'll be honest, it took me awhile to think of one. Not because I couldn't think of one, but because there are many I love. They range from cute As you wish (Princess Bride) to funny Do you think God gets stoned? I think so....look at the platypus (Robin Williams). Being a teacher and Canadian, Justin Trudeau has a great one too; I am a teacher. It's how I define myself. A good teacher isn't someone who gives the answers out to their kids but is understanding of needs and challenges and gives tools to help other people succeed. 

But in the end, I chose this one from Maya Angelou. I mean, doesn't it really sum things up?

I've been thinking a lot about my dad recently. This quote really sums him up. Everyone who met him will tell you what a great man he was. They may not recall what he said, exactly, and while many will remember things he did, what made him great was how he made you feel.

Ethan commented once about a friend. He referred to the child as a "frennemie". When I asked him to explain, he couldn't really tell me what this child said or did, but it was how the other child sometimes made him feel.

This summer, Ethan and I spent the day with one of my childhood friends and her partner. We had a great time. Ethan excitedly told his dad about our great day. But again, it wasn't a thing she said or a specific thing she did that made Ethan love our day. It was how she made him feel.  In fact, he's already asking if we'll see her again next summer!

I think Maya Angelou was an amazing woman. And this one quote is one I think everyone should remember.






1 comment:

KatBouska said...

Such a powerful statement. I love this quote too...I definitely sometimes am not the best at living it.